Saturday, November 17, 2012
Hienz Kristen (Perpetrator)
As we drove into Vilna, I could see Poles fleeing from the street, others closing their shutters. There was a strange silence, not just a lack of usual city noises, but the animals were quiet too. No birds chirping or flying around, no squirrels or dogs in sight. It was the calm before the storm. We pulled up beside a rather large and nice house. We knocked on the door and were met by a smiling woman who, as soon as she took a minute to process the situation, slammed the door in our face and we heard it lock. We knocked again and nothing. We went around the back and much to our luck, the door was unlocked. We walked in and saw the woman heading up the stairs, so I called to her. With a terrified look on her face, she slowly edged closer. I reassured her that we would not harm her and her face loosened up a bit. I asked her where we could find the most prestigious Jew in the town, and she directed us up the street. We approached the house and there was someone outside waiting for us. I walked up to the man, who appeared to be in his mid-forties. I told him that there would be more Nazis coming and to hold a meeting with the rest of the Jews in the town to tell them so. I said nothing else and just walked away. The takeover had begun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment